The PSHE (Personal, Social, Health Education) curriculum is an integral part of our whole school curriculum and covers aspects of Relationship Education, Health Education, the Equality Act and Puberty. Our programme of study has been designed to consider a range of themes and issues that young people may encounter throughout their lives and encourages them to use developing social skills and knowledge to identify risks and make safe decisions. We believe that the promotion of pupils’ personal and social development fundamentally underpins all other learning.
Our aim is to enrich and empower our pupils to have an understanding of safeguarding and to provide them with a safe platform to seek knowledge, ask questions and raise their concerns. Through our PSHE curriculum and our school ethos, we promote pupils’ self-esteem and emotional well-being, British values and provide the skills that pupils will need to leave primary school as healthy, secure, tolerant, ethical citizens who are aware of their rights and responsibilities, not just towards themselves but also towards others.
We aim to develop pupils understanding so that they:
- develop confidence to make the most of their abilities, through recognising their own worth
- develop their confidence and self-esteem which enables them to put forward their own views but also understand the views of others
- work well with others through a process of collaboration
- prepare to play an active role as citizens in a diverse society
- develop a healthy and safe lifestyle with the ability to take appropriate risk assessments
- have the confidence to question when something is wrong
- develop good relationships and respect the differences between members of the school and the wider community
- make a positive contribution to the life of the school
Meeting the needs of pupils, parents and the community we serve:
This Curriculum has been created through a rigorous consultation process involving:
- Members of the Trust
- All Leigh Trust schools
- Staff representatives from across all Leigh Trust Schools
- A Parents Working Group with representatives from each of the Leigh Trust Schools
- Sharing of curriculum content and resources with parents
- Review of parent views on the content of the curriculum
PWG - Parent Representatives for Wyndcliffe Primary
"I have been involved from the start as part of the working parent group in creating a bespoke PSHE curriculum for all Leigh Trust schools. After much scrutiny and lots of hard work by teachers and parents working together, I feel we now have a balanced curriculum that meets the needs of our children and takes into account their beliefs at home without contradiction or confusion created in their minds with regards to their Muslim identity. I am happy for this curriculum to be taught to my own children."
"Overall, I am satisfied with the process by which the PSHE curriculum has been created and I am happy for my children to be taught it."
"I am happy with the new PSHE curriculum and happy for my children to be taught it."
Parent Information Video and Parent Views Form
PSHE Policy and Curriculum Overviews